A small but major problem among the senior population is opening jars and cans. Hence why “extra help” is invented for ease and to prevent unwanted accidents.
On average, more than 54 million adults suffer from arthritis – a condition in which the joints swell and get stiff, resulting in a decreased range of motion. As age increases, the normal daily routine work becomes pretty difficult or even impossible. For example, opening cans and jars are nearly impossible for elderly citizens. As their weak joints cannot bear extra pressure, putting much effort just for the sake of opening cans might result in some serious accidents.
Even if you or a senior you know is living with arthritic flare-ups, it’s better to find a tool to help you carry out your tasks, plus ensuring your safety.
The good thing is that hundreds of “gadgets” are available on the market made to help senior citizens carry out their routine tasks with ease.
With the huge number of available options out there, you must be wondering which one to pick? To help you choose the right tool, we have listed some amazing options for jar openers to make your senior’s life a bit easier.
How Do the Different Types of Jar Openers Work to Solve the Problems?
The jar openers are designed to work on three things. The openers “help” you with them:
Different Problems Encountered While Opening a Jar or a Can
1. Loose Grip
If the senior’s hands slip because of the slippery jar lid, it will not be possible to rotate open it. Therefore one of their hands needs to tightly grip the lid for its proper functioning.
2. Weaker Hands
One hand of seniors needs to tightly grip the can or the jar itself. The jar will not open if their hands are weak enough to grip, or if the jar itself is slippery, or if they have smaller hands than the jar.
3. Lesser Strength and Leverage
The most important step is to turn the lid and jar in opposite directions to break the seal. No matter how well your hand’s grip on the lid and jar, it is of no use if you cannot put adequate strength to rotate the lid. This step is particularly harder for people with arthritis or the elderly generation.
Few Tips to Help Seniors Open Cans and Jars
- Repeated forceful gripping.
- Continuous pinching.
- Keeping the position of their hand in the same place through the opening process.
- Try to use your palm rather than using your fingers when opening jars.
- For a comfortable gripping, choose a jar with a larger lid. This will increase leverage.
- No-slip lids and jars are comparatively easier to open.
- Use two hands instead of one for better force, wherever is possible.
- Use “adaptive equipment and tools” to open jars and cars with better ease and lesser pain. For instance, electric jar and can opener, flat rubber grip for opening jars, long-handled jar openers, larger handle manual can opener, cabinet mounted jar opener, etc.
Our Top Picks for Useful Can and Jar Openers For Seniors
ZYLISS Lock and Lift Can Opener is one of the best tools for seniors to easily open jars and cans. The opener’s locking system ensures a consistent cut and minimizes the strain on hands. It has a high-grade stainless steel wheel designed to remove hand fatigue, thus ensuring easier use.
All in all, it is an excellent tool that comes in handy when placed in your kitchen drawer to cut through the lids effortlessly.
- Provides a soft and comfortable grip.
- By its use, seniors no longer need to handle the jar’s lid.
- With the minimal effort of cutting from your side, the opener cuts the lid cleanly.
Note: If you or your loved one is suffering from arthritis, this may not be the best suitable option for you as turning the knob may cause difficulty.
This automatic jar opener by Kitchenmuh is specially designed for people with arthritis. All a senior needs to do is press a button to open or close a jar. If you have very limited mobility in your hands or extreme joint pains, this hands-free device is a great option to go for.
- Incredibly handy and can remove the stress of opening and closing jars.
- Just a single press of the button and all the procedure is done automatically.
- Long battery life.
Note: This product isn’t recommended for plastic jars or jars with steep curves or irregular shapes.
If you are searching for a multi-functional jar gripper for seniors, this one is an excellent option to get your hands on. It is a pack of 12 pieces that can be used to open several types of sturdy containers. Its characteristic textured surface provides extra gripping that will give seniors an edge on leverage.
Apart from being used as a jar gripper, it can be used to keep hot cups and bowls on it as it acts as a trivet.
- Super inexpensive and versatile.
- Easy-to-use with a non-slip, textured surface.
- It can also be used as a trivet.
Note: This jar gripper is recommended for seniors with slight joint pain or weakness. (In case of serious arthritic pain, it is of no use as you still need to exert a certain amount of force to open up the jar).
Seniors may find it quite challenging to break the factory seal on some jars. But with this jar opener, the job can be done pretty smoothly. The extra tight gripping of this tool will help seniors open any kind of jar just by a simple sliding motion.
- Super easy to use.
- Even seniors suffering from arthritis or carpal tunnel syndrome can use it to open jars and bottles.
- Its small size and flat surface allow you to store it in a cabinet or shelf easily when not in use.
If you have some medical condition or have a senior at home to look after, the smart choice is to have a portable, lightweight jar and can opener. We recommend you save your older loved ones from the unnecessary pain or stress that comes while trying to open a factory-sealed jar or can.
Moreover, to get the most out of your purchase, choose one with a full or limited warranty, automated options, and one that is well-made with high-quality material.