These easy taco salad recipes are both fresh and nutritious. And ours have a few surprise ingredients that add a little out of the ordinary interest. Add in our easy sangria recipes, and you have some great fiesta party ideas!
Taco salad recipes are always popular, and you can put just about anything in them (almost). Fresh is best, of course. And we have lots of ideas below.
We all know how important it is to eat a variety of good food from all the different food groups. Like meats or fish, vegetables (especially those will plenty of color such as we include here), bean and legumes, whole grains.
Good taco salad recipes will include all of these, so are great for elderly nutrition. And they also can be perfect for those with minimal appetites who like to eat just a small amount – because you can build your own.
Even if you or your guests are picky eaters, taco salads are sure to please. Some of our ingredients are even a bit out of the ordinary, to add a little interest to your meal or party.
Our Taco Salad Recipes
Colorful Taco Salad
You will need:
- Several bowls and platters, and any of the following food options.
- Tortilla chips – Use a variety of colors, such a traditional yellow corn, white, whole grain, or blue corn.
- Some people like to use a taco bowl as well.
- Sliced yellow and red onions, or scallions.
- Greens can include traditional lettuce, romaine, spinach leaves, or a spring greens mix.
- Bowls of chopped or whole black and green olives – some with pimento.
- Several types of cheese such as cheddar, asiago, or manchego. A Mexican blend is great too.
- Bowls of black beans and pinto beans; refried is fine. Canned garbanzo beans are also very good.
- Chopped red peppers, as well as yellow and green.
- Chopped yellow and red tomatoes.
- Fresh corn removed from the cob, or cooked frozen corn.
- Cilantro and parsely.
- Shredded chicken or beef – you can cook spices into the meat such as cumin, coriander, black pepper, and garlic powder. You can make it as spicy as you’d like.
- Sour cream or fat-free yoghurt.
- Taco sauce.
Fish Taco Salad
You will need:
- Several bowls and platters
- Whole grain tortilla chips (healthier) or tortilla bowl
- Flaked fish, such as Tilapia
- Shredded romaine lettuce (iceburg lettuce has the least nutrients)
- Sliced red peppers
- Chopped tomatoes
- Shredded Mexican style cheese
- Lemon wedges – to squeeze the juice onto the taco
- Fish sauce
- Cilantro (optional)
- Spanish rice is good on the side or in the taco as well
Taco salads with fish are very high in protein and low in fat, especially if you use low-fat cheese. This is really good if you have fish leftovers, because taco salad recipes can easily be made in any amount. Or cook up about 3 to 4 fish fillets in advance, depending on the size of your group. As usual, just serve the various ingredients in bowls or on platters, and let your group build their own tacos.