Who doesn’t love a party?
Get great party theme ideas, party decorations, games, and more. Make your party especially easy and fun! Maybe add a costume? (At least a party hat of some sort)!
And most of these parties you can modify with no problem to fit the needs of your group, as well as for which season or holiday. Planning creative party ideas can be an exciting senior activity.
For many of these parties you can simply make changes to colors and basic décor, and voila! You have another event! Plus we’ll point you to some easy craft ideas to go along with them. So take a look and see what you can do for your family, club, group or campus.
Keep in mind, just about any of these parties can be either a simple snack and beverage event; or a more involved dinner and entertainment occasion complete with appetizer, entrée, salad, and dessert. Make them as basic or elaborate as you’d like.
Our Party Theme Ideas
Wine and Chocolates
Party theme ideas with chocolate are always well-attended. It’s perfect for any special occasion, and also for an open house, or anything the public may attend, including fund raisers. In fact, for many activities directors that I know, this has been one of the most popular occasions.
This type of party is ideal to incorporate into another party, such as birthday, anniversary, New Year’s, Christmas and winter holidays, etc. A party within a party, so to speak.
Get lots of wine and chocolate treat ideas including recipes, and more details on our page, Have a Wine and Chocolates Party!
English Tea Party
And this is not just for women! During my travels in England (three times), Victoria, British Columbia, and on cruise ships (as well as local tea shops) I have experienced many a tea time. And I can say for a fact that party theme ideas with tea are definitely attended by men as well.
You generally do want to get out your best dishes, table linens, candle holders, vases of fresh flowers, etc. to set the ambiance. It’s always in order to have guests dress up a bit too. And don’t be too concerned if it is not totally “authentic” according to the manner in which the English serve tea. This is, after all, a party just for fun.
Serve small, delicate sandwiches, a variety of pastries, scones, jams, etc. If you have a tiered serving platter, it will look spectacular at a party like this. Plus lots of different types of teas, including herbal for those who prefer it. Also serve coffee, and consider hot apple cider too.
Gone Fishing Party
Party theme ideas with fishing can be held any time of year, even in winter (when you wish it was nice enough outside to go fishing). And even when guests can’t actually go fishing, for various reasons. Just bring it all indoors – it’s all in the ambiance you can create. Or in summer, bring it to the patio.
On our fishing party page we have some creative party ideas for decorating, even some craft projects too. And we point you to some fabulous fish recipes as well. This party is always a favorite, and one of the really fun ones to plan; there are so many options. One of the most creative party ideas I’ve seen was a bridal shower for my daughter. It was fishing themed – the groom’s family are really into fishing. So several of the concepts from that event are mentioned on our fishing party web page. It was very unusual and fun.
In the U.S., the main patriotic celebration during the year is the Fourth of July. But there is also Memorial Day, Flag Day, and Veterans Day. Plus a host of local and state celebrations for particular clubs and groups.
These patriotic party theme ideas use the traditional red, white and blue colors. But of course any colors can be used, depending on your state, country, or local event. The main thing is to create a colorful ambiance with your theme…
Food and the serving and eating tables are of prime importance in this type of party. Themed paper goods are always available at party stores, and you can get some really attractive ones. Or make your own! You can find all kinds of foods in red, white and blue, especially fruits. Punch, wine, koolaid and other beverages (with a few blueberries) are colorful too. Even ice cubes made out of punch. And, of course, do have some strawberries dipped in white chocolate (see our page on how to make chocolate covered strawberries.)
Painting clay pots (learn more at the link) with acrylic paints and stencils, and then adding foliage, red flowers and flags, is an easy way to dress up a patio or even use as a centerpiece on the table. See more 4th of July crafts at this link.
Be sure to have at least the host or hostess come in costume, but also encourage all guests to wear something to follow any party theme ideas. Entertainment is easy, (and it’s most ideal if you can get some live musicians) – Sousa marching music and patriotic songs. Also consider a dance, including a square dance. Other entertainment can include a pie baking contest or bake sale, and a raffle. And of course, when able – fireworks!
Fiestas make fabulous party theme ideas, whether for traditional celebrations or any time. All the bright colors really lift the spirits – and that is one of the secrets to a really great fiesta – vivid color. On our special fiesta activities page we have many ideas on how to do just that.
Plus some really great menu possibilities too (have you tried chocolate covered chicken?) Chocolate, after all, is originally from the Central and South American areas, and is included in many dishes.
You may have seen the amusing film, “Like Water For Chocolate” – it’s a good one to watch in conjunction with a fiesta, if you have time for a movie too. There also may be someone from a cultural center or a school who may be interested in doing some volunteer dancing or music for your festivities (in exchange for your fiesta feast, or course!)
We also have an excellent homemade sangria recipe, and dessert ideas. And don’t forget a little Latino music, an all-important feature of a fiesta. So if you’re looking for something lively to host, do go to this page.
Party Theme Ideas – From Our Readers
In the Share section of our Elderly Activities page, we have had several people write in with very interesting party theme ideas. So I’m going to share them below, with links to their pages…
Pickle Tasting Party
This one is one of the really unique party theme ideas, and was submitted by one of our readers. I am also familiar with a nearby campus that hosts a pickle tasting party from time to time. And not just the cucumber types either. There are all sorts of pickled foods you can use, as well as herring.
And what about a beverage? Beer is always good, but so is a more tame tea and coffee. It depends on your group. So see what our reader says about their Pickle Tasting Party experience, and how to do it.
Easy Karaoke Evening
Or afternoon. You would be amazed sometimes at just who ends up being the gutsiest when it comes to getting in the limelight at the microphone. And who has a really good voice. But the voice doesn’t really matter; music and singing party theme ideas are very popular even without a great voice.
See what one of our reader shares about planning their easy karaoke event. And remember, it can be as causal as you’d like, with either basic CD music or a pianist, or more “authentic” with renting a karaoke machine from a party rental store.
Happy Hour Activities
Happy hours can become so popular that some folks I know would have some version of these party theme ideas every week if they could. Again, one of our readers shares what they did for their Happy Hours.
You can do a series of Happy Hours as well – from margaritas, to martinis, to beer, to wine, to colored drinks, to drinks from around the world. The food can be from around the world as well, and either simple snacks or a more formal appetizer presentation. Be sure to always include something non-alcoholic. And you may also want to have a limit on how many drinks per person! Drinks can also be served in small glasses, if you sampling several things at a given party.
Luau party theme ideas are also really reviving for spirits during winter or in nasty weather. But they’re equally as exciting in the summer, especially out on a patio. Needless to say, there are loads of paper goods for your table and décor available in party stores.
And you can make some crafts too – such as fun napkin holders, even wine charms with colorful beads or mini leis. See what little trinkets are available at craft stores for this. Stickers and stencils are always to be had, and can come in handy for decorating just about anything.
One of our readers has a lot of great ideas for a luau on her page at this link, so be sure to read it. It’s sure to inspire you with possibilities for your decorating, activities and menu.
More Party Theme Ideas:
Have you taken a look at our ? We have a special book just for party themes and party planning. It’s all-encompassing! With loads of new ideas and tons of details, pictures, and instructions. Several of the parties on this web site are in it, and lots of new ones too.
Plus, the Kindle book is very much enhanced with much more info, and fun. And there are recipes to go with the themes (many are my Dad’s own specialties — he was a gourmet cook).
So if you need creative party ideas, this will be a life saver. Especially if you don’t have time to find ideas or even recipes. You can get more specific info about this book at
You may already have your own basic ideas for ambiance and food, and how to host such an event. So here are a few more theme ideas:
- Folk Dance Demonstration – You may have a cultural center or two near your city or town. Or a dance studio or performing arts school. They may be willing to come to your event and give a dance demonstration, as well as speak a little bit about the traditions of what they are performing. Serve refreshments to follow the theme if possible.
- Italian Night – Almost everyone loves Italian food. There are great appetizers available too, if you want to keep it simple. Then uncork a bottle of wine, put on a little Italian music (even light opera – think Anrea Bocelli, Il Divo; perhaps Josh Groban).
- Fabulous French – How about an evening in Paris? Or afternoon on the patio, sidewalk café style? All you need is a little French wine or cafe au lait, plus some pastries…and voila!
- A Cultural Dinner Series – Serve and study foods from other lands or areas of the country. Simple table decorations to fit the party theme ideas will complete the ambiance. You could have one different theme per month for 4 to 6 months. Play music from the area and display traditional crafts or handiwork, if available. People in your group who have traveled may be interested in sharing items for these parties.
- Pirate Party – Again, make this as simple or fancy as you’d like. Making tri-cornered hats and eye patches out of black paper is easy. Add some silver, gold and black decor, pirate flags, skull and crossbones, and candy gold coins with some kind of treasure box. You can also find accessories at a party supply store. And don’t forget the swords. Get more ideas with an old-fashioned pirate movie. Perhaps “Treasure Island.”
- Host a Prom – Remember prom days? Well you can have them again, maybe with a little different style. Have guests get dressed up, even semi-formal or formal, depending on your group. If you can get live musicians that is ideal, but classic dance music on CDs will work fine. Someone may also be available to give a few easy dance lessons. Food can be elegant but easy appetizers, and perhaps a bit of bubbly in your beverage area too.
- Oktoberfest – Traditionally held in late September or October, this festival is all about lively German music and dance (anyone know how to polka?), beer, brats, German potato salad, and singing.
- Cookie Tasting – See how many different cookie recipes you can get from different countries, and share pot luck style.
- Spa Afternoon – You’ll need some volunteers for this one, ideally people who have worked in a salon. Relax with hand and foot massage, scalp massage, a foot soak, aromatherapy, heated lavender pillow (in the microwave), quiet music and candles (flameless suggested), etc. Men will enjoy this too.
- Glamour Manicure Party – Ladies love a little pampering for their hands. Provide lots of scented lotion, nail polishes in both subtle and vibrant colors, and even some tiny rhinestones to press into the nail polish (then a clear coat or two over it). Someone artistic could also paint tiny designs on a nail or two.
Winter holiday parties are always popular, and if you’d like some special treats, see our page about holiday treats for seniors.
Whatever parties you decide to have, be mindful of your guests and any dietary or physical limitations they may have. Be sure to serve non-alcoholic beverages too if you’re serving alcohol, and some no- or low-salt snacks, as well as sugar-free sweets. It will be so much appreciated.
Party Games !
Are you looking for some great party games? Well do we a great Kindle book for you! See it at:
It’s got over 71 games, and is neatly categorized for ability levels and occasions. Plus, there are special sections for Party Games and Holiday Games (although many other games can certainly be adapted for these as well). Lots of games to go along with party theme ideas. So do check it out!
More help for party theme ideas:
Easy Craft Ideas — Don’t miss our “craft central” area that will point you to various crafts on our web site for your party theme ideas. Some great ones for centerpieces too!
Easy Healthy Recipes — If you’re looking for some recipes for your parties, be sure to check out our “recipe central” page that will refer you to various categories of interest.
How To Make Mulled Wine – This is a perfect party recipe for favorite occasions, especially in chilly weather (including in spring, summer and fall on those dreary days). Lots of helpful hints, and my friend’s (an excellent cook) favorite recipe.